Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Saga Continues

So when last we spoke, I was going into great detail about the ups, downs, and topsy-turvy of this fun little thing called life.
So Tuesday morning came and off we go to Peninsula hospital for the evaluation. I was so scared I couldn't see straight. I don't know if I was more afraid of potentially leaving him there, or bringing him home. We talked to the assessment chick for nearly an hour. It was decided as he was not psychotic, suicidal, or homicidal that there was no need for inpatient hospitalization. It was an intensive outpatient program that was determined was our best option.
It was late in the day and we just had to wait for the phone call to discuss the when's, where's, and how long's. I heard nothing on Tuesday so I called them first thing on Wednesday. I left a hasty message as I was anxious to get this ball rolling. By lunch, Robin had called and we decided that he would start the next morning, Thursday. She offered the option of waiting until Monday, I didn't feel we had that much time to waste.
They offered 3 time slots that he could attend. 9-12, 12-3, or 4-7. I actually opted for the 9-12 slot. I know, I know...what about school? Well, my child was already going to repeat the 7th grade, so any thing he would miss at this point wasn't going to have a profound affect on his academic career for this school year.
He rode in with me to work, where he would hang out for about 45 minutes until I left at a little before 9 to run him over there. I then went back to work and worked until just before 12. I went and picked him up and took him to Oak Ridge to school. My lunch hour was now his lunch hour. The best part was that I didn't miss any extra work.
My office relocated to Parkside Drive this past weekend. Monday morning the transportation service began picking him up from the new office and taking him in. They are also now taking him back to school in Oak Ridge. The only day that I have to drive him is Wednesday. I think this is mostly due to the fact that he doesn't go to school on Wednesday. They get out at 12:45 and we get to the Ridge about 12:40. So he goes straight to the Boys Club.
This program is a 6-8 week program. So far we have exactly 3 weeks under our belt. He has definitely been more vocal with his feelings. Trust me, we have GREAT communication (insert sarcasm here). To be honest, his new found vocality of feelings usually comes in the form of yelling at me. I don't know which I hate worse. Him closing down and not letting any one know what is bothering him. Or him letting me know on any certain terms exactly what bothers him...at great volumes.
We are doing much better. We definitely are not all the way back. But we have started down the road to learning how to live as a family again. We are all learning how strong we are and how weak we are at the same time. Josh still bucks up and gets hateful and ugly. Just the other night, he got mad, mostly because he got busted lying, and reacted in what I would deem an inappropriate way. The difference this time...we were both able to come back and just move past it. We both have to learn when we are reacting negatively and consciously choose to stop. If one of us can do that, the outcome has been a peaceful resolution.
I am learning to pick my battles and be grateful that for the most part he is healthy. I am learning new ways to react to his new behaviors. It is just as much work for me as for him on certain days. I long for the day when my life, although it will never be perfect, has some resemblance to peaceful at the very least.
Enough about that situation.
I have changed the picture of us from the Christmas photo to an Easter pic. I have updated the puppy pic.
Stay tuned for an update really soon. I hope to have Graduation Pictures posted this weekend.
Much love and peace....Me

0 comments: