Saturday, May 5, 2007

Can you say ALUMNI???

Well, I don't have pictures to prove it....yet. But in case you didn't already know, I am a RSCC Alumni. I was notified of this tid bit of information, given a pin stating such, and a hearty handshake affirming the welcome mere moments after being handed the "baton" of graduation.

As a college graduate, I feel it is my duty to impart to you the "significance" of the red baton. I would like to say that it is the school's way of saying that it is our time to run this leg of the race. That, as a group, we were to be the race leaders and pace setters for tomorrow.

HA!!!! Yea right!

The red "baton" they gave us had absolutely no signficance at all. It was merely a tool to give us a letter stating that we graduated. That our diplomas would be mailed. And that the first alumi giving campaign would be starting soon.

Ok, so a little about the ceremony.

I walked in at 7 and out at 8 something. I had told the family that they were more than welcome to leave after I had gotten my red stick of graduation. Being that I was number 7 out of over 260 (and #5 didn't show up, so I ended up being #6), that was a long time to sweat for a bunch of people they didn't know. Can I tell you what I saw as I rounded the corner to go back to my seat? Butts! Nothing but Butts! My family was out! I was glad they left as it was hotter than heck and they needed to cool off. The only thing they missed was the other 260+ names and us walking out. Okay, so there was a little hooting and hollering. A lot of clapping. And a time for the class of 2007 to thank the people that supported them. Ok, so Carol and Joseph were still there, so that covered that. We left the gym, were handed a payday candy bar, (our first payday after graduation..ha ha), and I hit the stairs looking for my boy and his aunt. It was dinner time!!!
Today I had the best party! I had a number of family and friends come to help celebrate with me. In typical Stratman style, there was good food and lots of laughs. I think that everyone had a good time, and if they didn't get enough to eat, they have no one to blame but themselves. There was so much food that we actually were able to provide Andrya with the food for her international fair. Her country is Germany. Her food, left over bratwurst and kraut. The kids may not eat it, but it screams Germany.
I just want to say to anyone that was there, or wanted to be but couldn't, and might be reading this (sisters and mother aside cause I think they check daily to see if I updated, so I know they are reading) that I love you all and truly appreciate your support of my endeavor. Each person played some role in helping me achieve my dream. I never really thought this day would get here. It just always seemed so far down the road. Just a faint light in the distance that really didn't shine very bright until about 6:59 last night.
I was not in a position to take pictures, being the center of attention and all, so I hope that the pictures that were taken can be uploaded soon.
I am going to sleep now. The high from the last 24 is starting to wear off. Of course that could be the effects of Sara Bakers monster cupcakes wearing off too. It's hard to tell sometimes.
Again, I love you all. Thank you for everything!!
Peace love and graduation caps....Graduate Whim

0 comments: